Detroit Now & Then: Loss of Industry

Packard Motor Car Company

Though the Packard name is mostly forgotten now, it was one of the most significant early automobile marquees to settle in Detroit. From 1903 to 1954, Packard produced luxury and mid-price cars at its factory on East Grand Boulevard. A botched merger with Studebaker, another struggling independent automaker, led to the end of the brand in 1958.

Original photo: Bridge over East Grand Boulevard, 1939. Detroit Public Library
Current photo: October, 2013