The industrial boom that had fueled Detroit's rapid growth peaked in the years after the Second World War. As automobile manufacturers merged and consolidated, companies began to move their factories out of the city and into the suburbs starting in the 1950's. Some of the sprawling, obsolete plants they left behind found new use in other industries, but many would eventually end up abandoned.
Above, workers pose next to a 1942 Packard Clipper fresh off the assembly line. Packard had invested heavily in the Clipper line, which was a significant departure in styling and production. Despite being well received by critics and consumers, the outbreak of the Second World War halted production just as it was gaining momentum.