Sampson Elementary dates back to 1911, when the first unit of the school was built along Begole Street on the west side of Detroit. An addition in 1921 included 9 rooms, the gymnasium and auditorium.
Enrollment hovered around half of the 1,000-student capacity of the school from the 1990's to 2005. In 2006, Sampson closed and merged with Webber Middle School, which was also suffering from low enrollment, and formed the Sampson-Webber Academy. Old Sampson has been abandoned ever since.