There are few details about Ruthruff School on Chicago and Livernois. It was designed by McGrath, Dohmen & Pagebuilt in Tudor Revival style, with construction starting in 1925, possibly replacing an earlier building. Several nearby storefronts along Chicago were converted into an annex, and attached to the gymnasium by a walkway.
In the 1980's and 90's the school was known as the Ruthruff Adult Education. Sometime in the late 1990's or early 2000's, the school became the new home of the Malcolm X Academy program, an African-centric school, until the building was closed in 2006.
In 2007 the Last Chance Academy leased the school until they moved to a different location in 2010. It was vacated afterwards and has been abandoned since.