McKerrow School was named for Helen W. McKerrow, former principal of Tappan School. Construction on the U-shaped school was started in 1926 and finished in 1927.
McKerrow was a mostly black school in the 1950's and became overcrowded. In October of 1960, black students at Brady and McKerrow were transfered to several all-white schools, leading to protests from parents. Integration of schools would go on to be a defining factor in the decline of the syster in the 1970's and 80's.
In 2004 the school was converted over to a special education facility for young adults ages 20 to 26 called the John Deiter Center. A few years later program was renamed the Detroit Transition Center West. In 2011 the school was closed and the program moved to Drew School.
McKerrow was vacant for several years until scrappers began picking away at the building. Today the school is just a shell, stripped of everything of value.