Mason school was named for Stevens Thomson Mason, governor of Michigan from 1831 to 1838. A temporary one-room building was set up on the site of the present school in 1927. A second temporary building was added in 1929. Construction on a permanent building began in 1930, and Stevens Mason School opened in September of 1931. The first addition was built in 1945. Another major addition in 1952 included a gymnasium, auditorium, and classrooms.
Mason was first slated for closure in 2008, but received a reprieve. The school closed in 2012, and the Mason program transfered to Farwell School.