John Lynch Elementary was built in 1914 as part of the district-wide construction program undertaken to meet the growing city's educational needs. The first addition to the school came in 1922 which added capacity for 340 more students in seven classrooms. A further addition in 1974 included dedicated kitchen, cafeteria and gymnasium facilities. Of note was the combined auditorium / cafeteria / gym design; all three are connected as part of a multi-purpose layout.
As part of the 2002-2003 district closures, Lynch received students from Rowan Elementary, which had closed due to low numbers. Two years later, Lynch was closed for similar reasons. According to notes posted in classrooms, supplies were removed and shipped to nearby schools including Cooper and Maya Angelou elementary. These schools then closed a few years later.
Lynch school today is in very poor condition. The original 1914 building has fared the best, the 1922 addition was heavily damaged in a fire, and the 1974 addition is a gutted hulk. It's close proximity to the Coleman Airport Dead Zone makes it an unlikely candidate for reuse.