Jane Cooper Elementary was built in 1920 as part of the Detroit Public Schools expansion plan. It had the distinction of being one of the first schools in the state to specialize in the education of "backwards children," as well as schooling for children with tuberculosis in "open air" classrooms.
The neighborhood surrounding Cooper was demolished to make way for an industrial park that never came to fruition, leaving the school sitting in a vast, empty field. By 2007, enrollment at Cooper had declined from a high of 1,021 students in the mid 90's to just 430, and the decision was made to close the school.
Asbestos abatement began in the summer of 2009; by 2010 the school was demolished.