Samuel Gompers Elementary, built in 1954 and opened in 1955, was named for a noted trade unionist. The small, U-shaped school served the Brightmoor neighborhood until 2010, when a new school was built four blocks north.
The new Gompers PK-8 replaced three aging schools - Gompers, Harding, and Vetal. It was built on the site of the former Harding and Shurly Schools, which were demolished. Construction on the $20.5 million dollar building started in 2010, and the new Gompers opened in 2011.