Monnier Elementary School

In 1834 Greenfield Township built a small school at the corner of Grand River and Schaffer. By 1901 the school had been named for Peter G. Monnier, a farmer who owned land nearby and whose kids attended the school. The original school was torn down in 1907 and replaced with a brick building. As the township continued to expand it quickly outgrew the school, and a larger site on Schoolcraft further east was selected. As work on the new building got underway in 1923 the township was annexed into the City of Detroit, which took over the incomplete building and opened it in 1924.

Sometime around 1973 a single-story steel frame addition was built onto the side of the school. The addition was demolished sometime before 1999. Monnier closed in 2007 due to low enrollment.