Bay View Naval Armory

The Bay View Naval Armory in Toledo, OH was built between 1934 and 1936 by the Works Progress Administration, a federal program that built many public structures during the Great Depression. According to Lou Hebert, a Toledo author and former newscaster, "much of the structure was built using salvaged materials from other local historic buildings that were not preserved." The building was laid out like the deck of a ship, with a large drill hall making up the bulk of the structure.

From 1936 to 1947 the armory was the home of the Ohio Naval Militia, until the organization was taken over by the Naval Reserve. During the Second World War the armory was used for induction of new soldiers and naval training. After the war it was used for public events, including political rallies and school dances. The Navy stopped using the building in 1988.

In 1997 the City of Toledo bought the armory from the state for $40,000 but struggled to find a use for it. In 2004 it was sold to Roger Homrich, owner of a demolition company based out of Michigan. He originally intended to use the building to store boats and made some improvements, but there has been little activity at the site since.