Hotel Eddystone

Lew W. Tuller, a residential developer recognized that Detroit’s explosive growth would lead to an increase in demand for hotel rooms in the city. His first hotel, the Tuller led was a success and led to several others on the edge of downtown.

Designed by noted architect Louis Kamper, the Eddystone was designed as residential hotel, offering short- and long-term room leases to businessmen who wanted to live close to downtown. It opened in December of 1924 to rave reviews from publications including the Detroit Free Press, which wrote that "…the hostelry has many innovations in the way of accommodations and conveniences. It is sumptuously furnished, and the beauty of the interior decorations have been commented on with appreciation by all who have inspected the building."

"Rooms in the new hotel are all outside, large, perfectly lighted, well arranged with furniture."

Tuller would go on to build other hotels, including the Park Avenue Hotel next door to the Eddystone. But with the onset of the Great Depression in 1928, he lost both buildings to foreclosure. As later owners let the quality of services decline and the neighborhood lost population after the Second World War, the Eddystone gradually lost its luster, and was abandoned in the 1990’s.

By the time construction began on Little Caesar’s Arena, the Eddystone and Park Avenue were some of the only remaining buildings in the area. While preservationists wanted to see both buildings saved, the developers of the stadium would only commit to renovating the Eddystone. The Park Avenue was imploded in 2015. Renovation of the Eddystone into apartments is expected to be completed in 2021.