Westlawn Methodist Episcopal / Body of Christ Church

Westlawn got its start in October of 1920 in the basement of a house on Northlawn Avenue as a Sunday school. By the end of the year a portable church building had been installed at the corner of Grand River and Ohio, with 35 people attending the first service in January of 1921. As the neighborhood grew, fundraising for a new church began in January of 1925. Three months later, ground was broken on a permanent church building, and by November services were being held in the basement. The present-day church was completed in March of 1926 at a cost of $85,000. A community house was added in 1929, including a kitchen, classrooms, and a gymnasium.

Despite efforts to adapt to the changing demographics of the city, Methodist churches struggled to maintain their congregations. In 1974 Fourteenth Avenue M.E. Church closed and was merged with Westlawn. Just three years later in 1977 Westlawn closed too and was merged with a Methodist church on Greenfield. The building was sold to Greater St. Mark's Missionary Baptist Church, which used it until 1995.

From 1995 to 2013 the church was used by Body of Christ until they too moved out, relocating to the former Our Lady Gate of Heaven church.