Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church

Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church was organized in the spring of 1928 by Rev. Thomas J. Fallon. A temporary church was built at Six Mile and Strasburg while work on a permanent location a few blocks west was carried out. It’s not clear exactly when the name was changed to Our Lady of Good Counsel, but the change had taken place by 1933, when the Detroit Free Press reported the daylight theft of 126 folding chairs from the church.

A school was built in 1935, followed by a convent in 1937. In 1939 another temporary church was built adjacent to the school. With the surge in population during and after the Second World War, OLGC grew to a point where further construction was needed. An auditorium was added onto the school in 1949, which would serve as a temporary church while money was raised for a permanent sanctuary. Ground was broken on the present-day church on April 29th, 1956.

OLGC school closed sometime before 1991, when it was leased to the Detroit Public Schools. The church hung on until 2011, when it was merged with St. Raymond and closed. By 2015 the church had reopened as City of Jesus House of Life Apostolic Church.