Coffey School was built in 1925 as an overflow annex for Newton School. It was named for Wilford Larn Coffey, dean of Detroit City College. Originally a four-room schoolhouse, several temporary classrooms were built as the school grew, until construction began on a 11 classroom addition in 1954.
Coffey later converted over to a middle school, and later, a K-8 school. Though Coffey had capacity for over 1,000 students, enrollment around 500 through the early 2000's, before falling off to 386 in 2009. It closed in 2010, and has been abandoned since.
The school was slated for demolition in 2015, but no work has been done yet.