The National was an 800-seat theater designed by Albert Kahn. Built in 1911, The National was originally a movie theater, later converting over to a vaudeville format.
Vaudeville didn't last long either, and by the 1940's "burlesque" was in. A live orchsetra would as ladies would get nearly undressed, with comedy acts between sets.
In the National's waning days burlesque went out of style too, and for a brief time the theater converted over to showing adult films. The theater closed for good in 1975.