In 1911, the Detroit Public Libraries began construction on a new branch library on the corner of Warren and Grand Boulevard to serve the west side of the city, with a gift of $40,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The George V.N. Lothrop Branch, designed by B. C. Wetzel and named for the Michigan politician and former Attorney General, opened on December 26th, 1912. It featured reading rooms for adults and children, an auditorium that seated 100, and a mezzanine level. A special reading room for the blind, staffed by a special librarian opened in 1919.
The Lothrop Branch closed in the late 1990's or 2000's, and was sold to a Pentecostal church in 2003. By 2009 the church was a year behind in its payments, and the property was exposed to the elements.
DPL repossessed and demolished the library in late 2009.