The Paramount Theater in downtown Youngstown opened in 1918 as the Liberty Theater. Designed by Detroit architect C. Howard Crane, the theater was first a vaudeville venue, with seating for 1,700.
The Liberty was bought by Paramount Pictures in 1929 and was converted into a movie theater. The renamed Paramount Theater showed films until it closed in 1976, as Youngstown began to decline with the loss of the steel industry.
Despite being listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, various redevelopment plans for the theater never went beyond the planning stage. When the city announced it would be demolishing the theater in 2011, preservationists proposed saving the terra cotta facade, but the condition of the building and high costs made the plan impractical.
Demolition of the theater began in July of 2013.