Garfield Elementary School was built on the north side of Flint in 1928. An addition was built onto the west side of the original building sometime in the late 1960's or 70's. The school closed in 2010 due to low enrollment.
Garfield was located next to Flint Northern High School, which closed in 1988 and was demolished sometime after. One of the entrances was salvaged and added to an annex built on the site.