The Highland Towers was a large apartment complex on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park. Covering nearly an entire block, the orange brick building was considered luxury living when constructed in 1932, and featured a band shell on the roof, mirrored elevators, and a fine dining hall.
The last residents of the Highland Towers were forced out in 2009 after the power company turned off electricity due to non-payment. The building had been vacant since, though squatters and scrappers had started to sneak in. The Highland Towers burned down in a suspicious blaze on September 3rd, 2010.
The loss of the building is another blow to Highland Park, which has been struggling with recent bouts of arson and high residential vacancies.
For images of the fire see Detroit Fireground Images.