The former Detroit Fire Department engine and ladder 22 firehouse on Michigan Avenue was built in 1895. After nearly 90 years of operation, including the transition from horse-pulled fire apparatus to vehicles, the station closed in 1983.
In 1991 a husband and wife-owned restaurant in Mexicantown moved into the former fire station and opened a Spanish eatery, the Casa de Espana. Members of the DetroitYES forums remember it as a good place to eat with excellent entertainment, such as flamenco dancers. The husband died in a car accident, and a short time later the restaurant closed.
Aside from some minor work in 2009, the building has been vacant.
Hat-tip to Flickr user DetroitDerek for information.