"The University Club on East Jefferson originally was a place for college graduates to gather and compare educations. The members built their final home in 1931 on East Jefferson. It included squash and racquetball courts, leaded glass, antlered trophy heads, and the dining room: a two story great hall. There were 20 bedrooms on the third floor for permanent occupants and 4 for visitors. The main entrance was on Russell, but the ladies' entrance was through a 'delightful garden' on Jefferson.
"Members had to have graduated from a University or other establishment of higher learning although in 1985, in an effort to attract new members, the club was opened to those who had completed two years of college. Early members included Dexter Ferry and Albert Russell, and the club was the location for many blue-blood bachelor parties and society wedding receptions.
"Residents of the guest rooms in 1962 included two brokers, a manufacturer, several business executives, a group of lawyers and a Chrysler Personnel chief. The first woman, Susan Reck, a stockbroker, was admitted in 1978.
"The University Club went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1992, and the building now houses the YWCA."
Text taken from The Detroit News.
The YCWA moved out in 2008 due to the high upkeep cost and declining membership numbers. Vacant since then, the condition of the building has declined signifigantly.
In March of 2010, the University Club was sold to a local businessman who owned a nearby liquor store. The new owner has no plans for the location.